3.20.2012

diy ring dish

Until I found this cute little piece at World Market a month ago I was searching every thrift store for vintage porcelain dishes for my dainty things. A trade with home decor projects. My search is over knowing I can make some on my own!

you will need:
one small & one medium sized ovenproof bowls
a baking sheet or wax paper
a paper or fabric lace doily
a rolling pin
two ounces of polymer clay
a knife
an oven
and a nail file

 Preheat the oven to 275°F. Even though most polymer clay is non-toxic, all the surfaces and tools that comes in contact with the clay should be strictly used for crafts and not reused with food. The first step is to condition the clay. Knead the clay in between your fingers, until it becomes softer and more pliable. Then, start rolling out the clay on a baking sheet or wax paper.
 The clay should be rolled out to a thickness of 1/4″. Place a paper or fabric lace doily over the clay and make an imprint with the rolling pin. Gently peel the lace doily away from the clay.
Turn a small bowl over and place it over the clay. Using a knife, trim away any excess clay from the perimeter.
 Carefully lay the circular clay piece into a larger and shallow bowl. Place the bowl onto the middle rack of the oven and bake for approximately 15 – 20 minutes.
 Allow the bowl to cool completely before removing the clay dish. Use a nail file to smooth out the edges. I'd prefer to keep it white, however, I’m sure it would look just as cute painted gold or another color. Enjoy!!
{images by me & tutorial via HonestlyWTF & here}

1 comment: